Lost City Trek
The Lost City trek of 4 days is the favourite choice of many travellers. Recommended for trekking and adventure lovers who want to discover the Archaeological Park Teyuna – Lost City.
Duration: 4 days y 3 nights.
Staring point: agreed meeting point.
Starting time: between 7:00 am and 09:00 am*
*Due to the current situation, regulations and restrictions, starting time may be modified.
Passport with entry stamp in Colombia required.
Price per person:
Lost City Trek price 2023 – Lost City trek price per person is $1.750.000 COP (Lost City Trek – 4 days) and $2.050.000 COP (Lost City Trek – 5 days).
Our tour begins at the office of our agency in the city of Santa Marta.
We will leave in a 4×4 truck or jeep in order to start a two-hour journey, divided between road and mountain road (offroad) to reach a small town in the mountains of Sierra Nevada, called Mamey or Machete Pelao. Machete is located at about 120 meters above sea level. In this village we will have lunch and start our hike in the mountains.
The first day may be a bit sunny; however, we will enjoy excellent views, the mountains and contact with nature. Approximate temperature will be 34° C.
We will be in a humid tropical forest and begin at an altitude of 120 meters above sea level. Maximum elevation is 620 meters and spending the night at an elevation of about 470 meters above sea level.
Walking time will be of 3 to 4 hours approximately, including breaks for hydration, fruit points and information spots.
Approximate walking distance: 9.3 km
Our second day, there will be a very pleasant and considerably long walk, because we will enter the indigenous territory and visit a town of the Kogui ethnic group. We will learn about these cultures and their ancestral traditions, then we will continue our walk bordering Buritaca river until we reach the second campsite.
There we will enjoy the crystal clear waters of Buritaca river, have lunch, rest and then continue our journey through these great mountains.
We will be able to breathe fresh air and enjoy the sounds of nature, till finally reaching our third campsite called “Paraiso Teyuna”. There, we will enjoy a natural pool and listen to stories and anecdotes from our guides.
Since the walk is quite demanding, it is divided into two parts.
Part 1 (morning) from Camp #1 to Camp #2.
Walking time will be of 3 to 4 hours approximately, including breaks for hydration, fruit points and information spots. Approximate temperature will be 30° C. We will be in a humid tropical forest and begin at an altitude of 470 meters above sea level, with a maximum elevation of 680 meters and having lunch at an altitude of about 460 meters above sea level. Approximate walking distance: 9.6 km.
Part 2 (afternoon) Camp #2 to Camp #3.
Walking time will be of 4 to 4 1/2 hours approximately, including breaks for hydration, fruit points and information spots. Approximate temperature will be 30° C. We will be in a humid tropical forest and begin at an altitude of 460 meters above sea level, with a maximum elevation of 730 meters and spending the night at an elevation of about 800 meters above sea level.
Approximate walking distance: 10.4 km
This is our big day, it is time to get to know the great Tayrona city and fill ourselves with all the energy that a sacred place like Teyuna, the sacred city by its original name and nowadays Lost City, has.
To get to it, we have to cross the roaring waters of Buritaca river with the help of our guides, and start climbing 1200 stone steps to reach the first housing stone rings of this wonderful place.
With our experience coming from several years operating in the region, we will start a wonderful tour and travel in time while exploring this important Colombian archaeological site.
After all the morning for taking pictures and enjoying the place we will return to campsite #3, following the same path. We will have lunch, rest and continue our route to campsite #2, where we will spend our last night in the mountains. Since the day is quite demanding, it is divided into two parts.
Note: while visiting Teyuna archaeological park, it is not necessary to carry your backpack, only some items our guide will suggest, so that you can enjoy the best possible time up in the city.
Part 1 (morning) Visit to Teyuna archaeological park.
Walking time will be of 2 hours, one hour ascending and one hour descending from the Lost City, without considering walking time in the archaeological park.
Time spent on site is determined by our guides, together with the Colombian Institute of Anthropology and History ICANH, depending also on factors that may affect safety of the visitors such as weather conditions. Approximate temperature will be 26° C.
We will be in a humid tropical forest and begin at an altitude of 800 meters above sea level, with a maximum elevation of 1200 meters and having lunch at an elevation of about 800 meters above sea level.
Approximate walking distance: 2.5 km.
Part 2 (afternoon) Return from Camp#3 to Camp#2.
Walking time will be of 4 to 4 1/2 hours approximately, including breaks for hydration, fruit points and information spots. Approximate temperature will be 30° C; we will be in a humid tropical forest and begin at an altitude of 800 meters above sea level and spend the night at an altitude of about 460 meters above sea level.
Approximate walking distance: 10.4 km.
As all good things must come to an end, it is our last day in the mountains, it is time to return to Santa Marta.
Since the way back is pretty long, we must start our walk very early to reach the town of Machete.
Before that, we will be making a stop at campsite #1 to recharge our batteries with a snack, enjoy the natural pool and continue our descent to have lunch, before getting transportation back.
Approximate temperature will be 30° C; we will be in a humid tropical forest and begin at an altitude of 460 meters above sea level and have lunch at an altitude of about 120 meters above sea level.
Walking time will be of 5 to 6 hours approximately, including breaks for hydration, fruit points and information spots.
Approximate walking distance: 18 km
Is Lost City trek worth it?
The Lost City trek is worth it because of the amazing views, nature, the incredible history of one of the most important archaeological sites in Colombia, native communities and their culture and traditions.
Unlike Machu Picchu, though, there is no comfortable way to reach the Lost City, so being in a good shape is required since it’s a walk of more than 50 km.
It’s so much more worth it to visit it with Teyuna Tours, since it’s the only Tour Operator of the Lost City trek run by local guides, who used to be baquianos (a term used in South America that means “expert or knowledgeable”).
Baquianos were usually employed in an informal way, and no one was actually certifying how good or suitable for the task they were. Nowadays, guides are not just experts: they are professionals, founders and associates of Teyuna Tours.
- 4×4 Transportation (Santa Marta – Mamey- Santa Marta).
- Meals during the tour.
- Accommodation in campsites (hammocks or beds with mosquito nets).
- Entrance to Teyuna archaeological park (ICANH).
- Travel insurance.
- Contributions to the farming and indigenous communities.
- Professional local guide.
- Fresh fruits and snacks during the trekking.
- This trekking takes place in a tropical forest.
- Temperatures are of about 26°C – 32°C.
- It is usually hot and very humid, during the night temperatures may get as low as 16°C.
- There are a lot of mosquitoes, bugs and other insects, so that we recommend to bring insect repellent.
- Chances of rain are usually pretty high, especially during the afternoon, so the trail can be muddy.
- During the trek, it is necessary to cross rivers and streams.
- Natives and their traditions have to be respected: this is the base for a positive cultural exchange for both visitors and communities.
What should I bring to Lost City Trek?
- Tennis shoes or boots, and sandals or resting shoes for the camps.
- T-shirts, quick dry are the best option.
- Shorts or bermudas.
- Sweatshirt and a pair of long trousers.
- Towel – microfiber suggested.
- Insect repellent.
- Personal items and toiletries.
- Water bottle of 1 liter or more – purified water will be available in every campsite.
- Personal medications.
- Cash for extra expenses, handicrafts, tips…
- Waterproof, plastic bags or rain cover for the backpack.
- Playing cards or a book.
- Sleeping bag liners.
Cancellation Policy and Refund
Clients have the right to claim a total or partial refund of the amount he/she paid according to the following terms and conditions:
- Teyuna Tours or its provider, has failed to provide the service, as long as the reason is different from force majeure *. You will have a refund of the total amount paid for the service.
- Cancellation of a standard (non-private) tour, either the Lost City trek or another destination in Santa Marta, more than twelve (12) hours prior to the departure of the tour. You will have a refund of the total amount paid for the service.
- Cancellation of a private tour, or transfer service, more than forty-eight (48) hours prior to the starting time of the service. You will have a refund of the total amount paid for the service.
- Cancellation of a standard tour to the Lost City within twelve (12) hours prior to the departure of the tour. There will be a charge of the 10% of the total value of the tour.
- Cancellation of a standard tour other than the Lost City trek within twelve (12) hours prior to the departure of the tour. There will be a charge of the 50% of the total value of the tour.
- Cancellation of a private tour, or transfer service, within forty-eight (48) hours prior to the starting time of the service. There will be a charge of the 10% of the total value of the service.
- Presenting a positive result for the Covid-19 test, after the starting time of a service that requires a negative result. A charge of the 20% of the total value of the service will be applied.
The customer will not get a refund in the following cases:
- The client does not show up to start the tour (no show).
- An accident or calamity occurs and prevents the service to be provided or provided in full.
- The client resign during the service.
- Events unrelated to Teyuna Tours occur, such as cancellation or delay of flights, loss of luggage, closure of roads, airports, terminals, borders, among other external reasons that may prevent the client to be provided a certain service.
* It is intended as force majeure: meteorological phenomena, disturbances of public order, unforeseen closures of the destination or roads, among others that prevent the service to be provided, or put safety of our customers at risk.
Where can I borrow a backpack or trekking poles for the Lost City trek?
Teyuna Tours offers as an extra service trekking poles and backpack rental; depending on availability, in our office you will find a 20L backpack and a couple of trekking poles and rent them for just $100.000 COP for the whole duration of the tour.
Is it possible to complete the Lost City trek in 3 days? And in 6 days?
Lost City trek for 6 days is a customized tour, whose operation depends on, among others: weather conditions, biosecurity protocols, available spots; because of this, we suggest to contact us to check availability and price.
Teyuna Tours DOES NOT operate the Lost City trek in 3 days, because we care about our customers’ safety: contingency plan signed by tour operators along with authorities states that Lost City tours must have a minimum duration of 4 days for safety reasons.
Campsites, accommodations and restaurants belong to local communities; we cooperate and work in order to provide a high quality service, however quality of lodgings and camps depends on them.
Trails and infrastructures are shared by all companies, so that the number of visitors depends on tourist season and number of visitors among all tour operators.
This tour involves risks; travel insurance covers accidents and injuries that may occur in the trek.
Teyuna Tours and the managers of the campsites on the Lost City trek are not responsible for lost or damaged personal belongings.
Other options – Lost City Trek
Lost City Trek – 5 days
This adventure is designed for people who prefer to go at a slower pace, even without having much time.
Lost City Trek – 6 days
Best option for visitors who prefer to have an exclusive experience, with more time to enjoy nature, rivers and natural pools.