Gotsezhy Refuge belongs to the native Wiwa community of this region: explore the origin, get in touch with ancentral indigenous culture and enjoy the amazing landscapes of our land.
Duration: 2 days, 1 night
Staring point: agreed meeting point.
Starting time: 8:00 am*
*Due to the current situation, regulations and restrictions, starting time may be modified.
Price per person:
*Price per person for a group of 4 people, with guide service in Spanish.
Price per person depends on group size
We start from the center of Santa Marta at 8 AM, heading to the town of Guachaca, where at 9:30 AM we will begin our trek in direction of Gotsezhy Refuge walking on offroad trails and mountain paths; it will take us about 3 hours.
After a wholesome lunch prepared by the women of the community – based on visitors’ requirements and on the delicious indigenous gastronomy of this region-, we will have the opportunity to rest and visit the town of Gotsezhy, interacting with a part of the Wiwa Indigenous population who lives in this community. We will observe the school, a large number of traditional houses (indigenous huts) and other important sites of Gotsezhy village.
Then we will start a walk through paths replete with vegetation, in order to get to enjoy a refreshing bath in the ancestral Matuna waterfall.
After enjoying for more than an hour the crystal clear waters of the Matuna waterfall, we will return to the Refuge to share a moment with the families that live there, have dinner and prepare to rest.
The day begins by getting up early to have a delicious breakfast, so that with renewed energy we will visit some ancestral and cultural sites in the company of an indigenous guide, who will give us spiritual talks and teach us about traditional handicrafts and other forms of cultural and artistic expression typical of the Wiwas.
Around noon we will have lunch, a short time for resting and then get ready and start the trek down to Guachaca, where the car will be waiting to take us back to the city of Santa Marta; estimated arrival time is 5:30 PM.
- 4×4 Transportation (Round trip)
- Accommodation in beds or hammocks
- Visits to Gotsezhy Refuge and the handicrafts exhibition
- Interaction with the Wiwa indigenous community and with the Mamo
- Travel insurance
- Contributions to the farming and indigenous communities
- Local native guide service (Spanish)
What's Not Included
- Anything not specified
- Beers, drinks, extra snacks
- Shopping tour and / or visits to other attractions
- Handicraft items and tips
- Guide service in English – or any language other than Spanish
The itinerary may vary according to weather conditions and access road to Gotsezhy region;
The guide will provide information and give the necessary recommendations in order to make sure every visitor has full respect for the environment and for the local indigenous communities.
What to bring
It is recommended to bring a small backpack, comfortable clothes, bathing suit, sunscreen, hat and appropriate footwear for walking, a pair of sandals to rest your feet, camera, plastic bags to cover your backpack; towel and toiletries (biodegradable soap if possible), flashlight, sweatshirt and a pair of long trousers for the night.
It is important that you take with you mosquito repellent and medicines you may need.
We recommend that you get vaccinated against yellow fever: although this vaccine is no longer a compulsory requirement to enter Colombia, we recommend it.
Cancellation Policy and Refund
Clients have the right to claim a total or partial refund of the amount he/she paid according to the following terms and conditions:
- Teyuna Tours or its provider, has failed to provide the service, as long as the reason is different from force majeure *: you will have a refund of the total amount paid for the service.
- Cancellation of a standard (non-private) tour, either the Lost City trek or another destination in Santa Marta, more than twelve (12) hours prior to the departure of the tour. You will have a refund of the total amount paid for the service.
- Cancellation of a private tour, or transfer service, more than forty-eight (48) hours prior to the starting time of the service. You will have a refund of the total amount paid for the service.
- Cancellation of a standard tour to the Lost City within twelve (12) hours prior to the departure of the tour: there will be a charge of the 10% of the total value of the tour.
- Cancellation of a standard tour other than the Lost City trek within twelve (12) hours prior to the departure of the tour: there will be a charge of the 50% of the total value of the tour.
- Cancellation of a private tour, or transfer service, within forty-eight (48) hours prior to the starting time of the service. There will be a charge of the 10% of the total value of the service.
- Presenting a positive result for the Covid-19 test, after the starting time of a service that requires a negative result, implies a charge of the 20% of the total value of the service.
The customer will not get a refund in the following cases:
- The client does not show up to start the tour (no show).
- An accident or calamity occurs and prevents the service to be provided or provided in full.
- The client resign during the service.
- Events unrelated to Teyuna Tours occur, such as cancellation or delay of flights, loss of luggage, closure of roads, airports, terminals, borders, among other external reasons that may prevent the client to be provided a certain service.
* It is intended as force majeure: meteorological phenomena, disturbances of public order, unforeseen closures of the destination or roads, among others that prevent the service to be provided, or put safety of our customers at risk.
Campsites, accommodations and restaurants belong to local communities; we cooperate and work in order to provide a high quality service, however quality of lodgings and camps depends on them.
Trails and infrastructures are shared by all companies, so that the number of visitors depends on tourist season and number of visitors among all tour operators.
This tour involves risks; travel insurance covers accidents and injuries that may occur in the trek.
Teyuna Tours and the managers of the campsites on the Lost City trek are not responsible for lost or damaged personal belongings.
Other Tours – Lost City Trek
Lost City Trek – 5 days
This adventure is designed for people who prefer to go at a slower pace, even without having much time.
Lost City Trek – 6 days
Best option for visitors who prefer to have an exclusive experience, with more time to enjoy nature, rivers and natural pools.