Visit Palmor, the coffee capital city of Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, and discover the ancestral traditions of Kogui natives in Cherúa village: an experience through which you will learn about our mountains, our produce and our people.
Duration: 2 days, 1 night
Staring point: agreed meeting point.
Starting time: 5:00 am*
*Due to the current situation, regulations and restrictions, starting time may be modified.
We start from Santa Marta by 4×4 and in approximately 2:30 hours, we reach the village that is considered the coffee capital city of Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta: Palmor.
Once in the village, we will get to know about history and culture of the region, and how it was colonized. In Palmor we will have breakfast and then continue by 4×4 on panoramic offroad trails for approximately 1 hour, until we reach a settlement inhabited by Kogui natives, in their language called Tunangaxa.
There, they will teach us about their culture, traditions and lifestyle; we will have lunch with them, and then a visit to a nearby waterfall, and we will get to know the details of lulo cultivation – having the opportunity to taste this delicious local fruit too.
Afterwards, we will return to the native town, in order to have dinner and to acquire knowledge about native ancestral culture, sitting around a bonfire. Accommodation will be in huts or in tents.
Departure from the hotel or accommodation site, taking the road that connects Santa Marta with Ciénaga and Fundación Magdalena, the vehicle deviates through the cold river and in an ascent of 1 hour and 50 minutes you arrive at Palmor, a coffee-producing town considered as the coffee capital of the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta.
At Palmor, a typical breakfast of the area is received. Once breakfast is finished, we continue the tour by vehicle for approximately 2 hours to Cherua, a Kogui indigenous settlement located at 1,320 m.a.s.l. The vehicle will reach an area called Uranio Abajo, where we will get off the vehicle with our luggage to start a walk with a low level of difficulty for about 30 minutes until we reach the Kogui indigenous community baptized as Cherua.
In Cherua. We will be received by the mamo or cacique, an old man who embodies ancestral knowledge and is an indigenous authority, the leader of this community will give us a short guided tour introducing us to their community and explaining the ways of building their houses (huts) and their relationship with the Mother Earth. After the tour, lunch will be received.
Once installed and touring the surroundings, we will visit a natural water pool just 30 minutes from the Kogui community along a path with a medium level of difficulty. In the pool you will be able to enjoy a bath of natural and cold water that descends from the high mountain.
In addition to being cared for by friendly and hospitable farmers, you will be able to learn everything related to local regional produce; here you can see the sunset, where the central spectacle is the sunset and the tranquility provided by the natural environment.
Return to the Kogui community for dinner. At nightfall you will have a unique experience with this community because in the company of the indigenous people of all ages who live in this village, it will be shared in a bonfire where we can observe their traditional dances as well as appreciate the elaboration of crafts and ethnic souvenirs.
We woke up very early to watch the sunrise in the Sierra Nevada, enjoying a delicious cup of organic coffee offered by the indigenous people. Traditional breakfast.
We said goodbye to the community to go to a coffee-producing farm. To get to the farm, an ecological walk will be carried out along the native trails of the mountain, watching the exuberant greenery on the mountains with abundant presence of tropical forest and many sounds of the fauna of the area for approximately 3 hours. During the journey we will eat fruits.
At the coffee farm, we will learn all about the history of the preparation of Colombian coffee, the sowing of this exquisite bean and the coffee culture. This tour ends with a delicious cup of coffee.
We left the coffee farm by vehicle bound for the Apiary. Estimated time 1 hour of travel. In the place where we will learn secrets of bees and Colombian beekeeping. We will discover how bees make honey and how beekeepers work. We will open a hive and explain what happens inside. The visit can be made by children and adults, we provide protective suits to visitors.
At the end of the visit to the apiary, we will receive a typical lunch. You return by vehicle to Palmor to begin the descent of the mountain for approximately 3 hours until you reach Santa Marta.
- Transportation (Round trip)
- Travel insurance
- Contributions to the farming and indigenous communities
- Local guide service (Spanish)
- Fresh fruits and snacks during the trekking
What's Not Included
- Anything not specified
- Shopping tour and / or visits to other attractions
- Handicraft items and tips
- Guide service in English – or any language other than Spanish
Itineary may change depending on weather conditions and accessibility to the region.
The guide will give some specific instructions to the visitors, such as, among others:
- Do not take photos of native children
- Do not be disrespectful
- Do not throw garbage on trails
- Do not separate from the group
What to bring
- Walking boots
- Trekking poles
- Insect repellent
- Water bottles
- Personal medications
- Cash for extra expenses, handicrafts, tips…
Cancellation Policy and Refund
Clients have the right to claim a total or partial refund of the amount he/she paid according to the following terms and conditions:
- Teyuna Tours or its provider, has failed to provide the service, as long as the reason is different from force majeure *: you will have a refund of the total amount paid for the service.
- Cancellation of a standard (non-private) tour, either the Lost City trek or another destination in Santa Marta, more than twelve (12) hours prior to the departure of the tour. You will have a refund of the total amount paid for the service.
- Cancellation of a private tour, or transfer service, more than forty-eight (48) hours prior to the starting time of the service. You will have a refund of the total amount paid for the service.
- Cancellation of a standard tour to the Lost City within twelve (12) hours prior to the departure of the tour: there will be a charge of the 10% of the total value of the tour.
- Cancellation of a standard tour other than the Lost City trek within twelve (12) hours prior to the departure of the tour: there will be a charge of the 50% of the total value of the tour.
- Cancellation of a private tour, or transfer service, within forty-eight (48) hours prior to the starting time of the service. There will be a charge of the 10% of the total value of the service.
- Presenting a positive result for the Covid-19 test, after the starting time of a service that requires a negative result, implies a charge of the 20% of the total value of the service.
The customer will not get a refund in the following cases:
- The client does not show up to start the tour (no show).
- An accident or calamity occurs and prevents the service to be provided or provided in full.
- The client resign during the service.
- Events unrelated to Teyuna Tours occur, such as cancellation or delay of flights, loss of luggage, closure of roads, airports, terminals, borders, among other external reasons that may prevent the client to be provided a certain service.
* It is intended as force majeure: meteorological phenomena, disturbances of public order, unforeseen closures of the destination or roads, among others that prevent the service to be provided, or put safety of our customers at risk.
Campsites, accommodations and restaurants belong to local communities; we cooperate and work in order to provide a high quality service, however quality of lodgings and camps depends on them.
Trails and infrastructures are shared by all companies, so that the number of visitors depends on tourist season and number of visitors among all tour operators.
This tour involves risks; travel insurance covers accidents and injuries that may occur in the trek.
Teyuna Tours and the managers of the campsites on the Lost City trek are not responsible for lost or damaged personal belongings.
Other Tours – Lost City Trek
Lost City Trek – 5 days
This adventure is designed for people who prefer to go at a slower pace, even without having much time.
Lost City Trek – 6 days
Best option for visitors who prefer to have an exclusive experience, with more time to enjoy nature, rivers and natural pools.