Night Artisanal Fishing
Artisanal fishing trips in the river and mouth of Don Diego – Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta Park-, are a magnificent way to take in your heart the emotional experience of the art of fishing in a place with incomparable nocturnal beauty.
Duration: 1 day
Staring point: agreed meeting point.
Starting time: 3:00 pm*
*Due to the current situation, regulations and restrictions, starting time may be modified.
Price per person:
*Price per person for a group of 4 people, with guide service in Spanish.
Price per person depends on group size
The adventure begins leaving Teiruna parking lot by boat or kayak, through the waters of Don Diego river – one of the main rivers of the region, descending from Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta-, observing howler monkeys, local and migratory birds until reaching the meeting point of the river with the Caribbean Sea.
There is where the artisanal fishing activity begins, starting with a wooden reel with a nylon thread attached to it, and the typical hooks and lead weights; the expert staff will train you on how to place the baits and also how to throw the nylon thread into the water, as well as learning to fish with a fishing rod and cast net, and to differentiate the different types of fish.
Those who want to release the fish will be able to do so, and some of the fish will be prepared on firewood in order to have it for dinner by the beach. While waiting for the fish to be cooked, you will hear stories of the region as well as observe nature and its wonders, “babillas” – little caimans – and nocturnal flowers; after enjoying the fishing activity and a few hours in this wonderful location, we will take the boat back to the starting point. In case you want to take home some fish you’ve caught, you will be able to do so.
Don Diego River is surrounded by a wonderful natural environment, which provides the perfect habitat for endemic flora, local and migratory birds; its refreshing waters make this sector an excellent location for fishing. Artisanal fishing trips in the river and mouth of Don Diego – Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta Park-, are a magnificent way to take in your heart the emotional experience of the art of fishing in a place with incomparable nocturnal beauty.
This tour consists in trawling, includes basic fishing equipment. Among the most common kinds of fish we may be able to catch: sea bass, white snapper, goatfish, grunt, sea catfish, mackerel and zabalete from the smallest to the largest. During this trip we get before dark on a boat heading to the mouth of Don Diego river in the Caribbean Sea.
During this journey you can see howler monkeys and all kinds of birds of the region, as well as birds of passage. At night the “babillas” can be spotted when silently hunting, making this tour a unique experience including contact with important endangered species. This tour also gives us the opportunity to take part into a great sunset show, complemented by the refreshing breezes descending from Sierra Nevada.
Artisanal fishing is performed in a responsible manner, respecting and always complying with rules established by the laws and regulations aimed at protecting and forbidding the hunting and fishing of endangered species. First of all. we proceed preparing the baits on the hooks.
The boatman and the guide will teach what a cast net is and how it is thrown; you will be able to decide if you want to release the fish. or if you want to taste it roasted on firewood, with lemon juice and typical food of the region such as “yuca” (yum), plantain or green banana.
At the end of the fishing day and along with a bonfire on the seashore, you will be able to listen to local stories, myths and legends of the region from one of the fishermen of the region, who will share a lot about his culture, habits and popular knowledge.
- Transportation (Round trip)
- Dinner and hydration
- Boat to the mouth of Don Diego river
- Tools for artisanal fishing
- Professional local guide (Spanish)
- Travel insurance
What's Not Included
- Beers, drinks, extra snacks
- Anything not specified
- Shopping tour and / or visits to other attractions
- Handicraft items and tips
- Guide service in English – or any language other than Spanish
- Temperatures are of about 25°C – 33°C.
- Climate is usually very hot and very humid
What to bring
- We recommend to bring cash, comfortable clothes, a bottle of water, swimsuit, sunscreen and appropriate footwear for walking and for the river.
- It is important to bring mosquito spray with you.
Cancellation Policy and Refund
Clients have the right to claim a total or partial refund of the amount he/she paid according to the following terms and conditions:
- Teyuna Tours or its provider, has failed to provide the service, as long as the reason is different from force majeure *: you will have a refund of the total amount paid for the service.
- Cancellation of a standard (non-private) tour, either the Lost City trek or another destination in Santa Marta, more than twelve (12) hours prior to the departure of the tour. You will have a refund of the total amount paid for the service.
- Cancellation of a private tour, or transfer service, more than forty-eight (48) hours prior to the starting time of the service. You will have a refund of the total amount paid for the service.
- Cancellation of a standard tour to the Lost City within twelve (12) hours prior to the departure of the tour: there will be a charge of the 10% of the total value of the tour.
- Cancellation of a standard tour other than the Lost City trek within twelve (12) hours prior to the departure of the tour: there will be a charge of the 50% of the total value of the tour.
- Cancellation of a private tour, or transfer service, within forty-eight (48) hours prior to the starting time of the service. There will be a charge of the 10% of the total value of the service.
- Presenting a positive result for the Covid-19 test, after the starting time of a service that requires a negative result, implies a charge of the 20% of the total value of the service.
The customer will not get a refund in the following cases:
- The client does not show up to start the tour (no show).
- An accident or calamity occurs and prevents the service to be provided or provided in full.
- The client resign during the service.
- Events unrelated to Teyuna Tours occur, such as cancellation or delay of flights, loss of luggage, closure of roads, airports, terminals, borders, among other external reasons that may prevent the client to be provided a certain service.
* It is intended as force majeure: meteorological phenomena, disturbances of public order, unforeseen closures of the destination or roads, among others that prevent the service to be provided, or put safety of our customers at risk.
Campsites, accommodations and restaurants belong to local communities; we cooperate and work in order to provide a high quality service, however quality of lodgings and camps depends on them.
Trails and infrastructures are shared by all companies, so that the number of visitors depends on tourist season and number of visitors among all tour operators.
This tour involves risks; travel insurance covers accidents and injuries that may occur in the trek.
Teyuna Tours and the managers of the campsites on the Lost City trek are not responsible for lost or damaged personal belongings.
Other Tours – Lost City Trek
Lost City Trek – 5 days
This adventure is designed for people who prefer to go at a slower pace, even without having much time.
Lost City Trek – 6 days
Best option for visitors who prefer to have an exclusive experience, with more time to enjoy nature, rivers and natural pools.