Cabo de la Vela
Visit La Guajira, discover Cabo de la Vela, live an adventure full of wild beauty and ancestral traditions: the land of the Wayúus.
Duration: 12 hours approx.
Staring point: agreed meeting point.
Starting time: 5:30 am*
*From Ríohacha. Due to the current situation, regulations and restrictions, starting time may be modified.
* In Spanish. Tours begin and end in Ríohacha; extra transportation service from and to Santa Marta (round trip) has an additional cost; Teyuna Tours will help you book this extra service, and will be paid directly to the service provider.
Your journey starts at 5:30 am in Riohacha, from there you will head towards Manaure Salt Flats. It will be approximately a 1-hour car ride. At Manaure Salt Flats, you will have a look at the ponds where salt is extracted and processed in an artisanal way, accompanied by a guide from the community.
Your journey will continue to one of the most famous places in La Guajira, Uribia, the indigenous capital city of Colombia. It will be a 1-hour journey. Then you will head towards Cabo de la Vela, it will take approximately 2 hours. Upon arrival, you will visit the Ojo de Agua, the Lighthouse, hike up to Pilón de Azúcar, a sacred place of the Wayuu community, and have time to rest at Playa Dorada. You will arrive at the restaurant, where you will enjoy a typical lunch prepared by our Wayuu indigenous people.
At 2:30 pm, you will depart from Cabo La Vela, and after a journey of approximately 3 hours, you will arrive back in Riohacha where you can take a shower, rest, or continue your adventure to another destination.
- Transportation: from your place of accommodation in Ríohacha and back to the same place, in 4×4 vehicles with air conditioning.
- Food: Typical lunch prepared by local cooks. (Typically fish, chicken, local goat, prepared by locals in their own way.)
- Others: Medical assistance insurance that covers accidents and illnesses occurred during the trip.
What's Not Included
- Guiding in languages other than Spanish, which comes at an additional cost.
- Others: Personal expenses, unspecified expenses, medical expenses not covered by the insurance policy.
- Transportation: Transportation to arrive to / depart from Riohacha, the starting and ending point of the trip.
- Food: Additional food and beverages. Alcoholic beverages.
- Activities not described in the itinerary.
- This tour takes place in a desert region.
- Temperatures are of about 25°C – 33°C.
- It is usually hot and very dry.
- Natives and their traditions have to be respected: this is the base for a positive cultural exchange for both visitors and communities.
What to bring
- Light clothes
- Insect repellent
- Water bottle – a big one
- Personal medications
- Cash for extra expenses, handicrafts, tips…
Cancellation Policy and Refund
Clients have the right to claim a total or partial refund of the amount he/she paid according to the following terms and conditions:
- Teyuna Tours or its provider, has failed to provide the service, as long as the reason is different from force majeure *: you will have a refund of the total amount paid for the service.
- Cancellation of a standard (non-private) tour, either the Lost City trek or another destination in Santa Marta, more than twelve (12) hours prior to the departure of the tour. You will have a refund of the total amount paid for the service.
- Cancellation of a private tour, or transfer service, more than forty-eight (48) hours prior to the starting time of the service. You will have a refund of the total amount paid for the service.
- Cancellation of a standard tour to the Lost City within twelve (12) hours prior to the departure of the tour: there will be a charge of the 10% of the total value of the tour.
- Cancellation of a standard tour other than the Lost City trek within twelve (12) hours prior to the departure of the tour: there will be a charge of the 50% of the total value of the tour.
- Cancellation of a private tour, or transfer service, within forty-eight (48) hours prior to the starting time of the service. There will be a charge of the 10% of the total value of the service.
- Presenting a positive result for the Covid-19 test, after the starting time of a service that requires a negative result, implies a charge of the 20% of the total value of the service.
The customer will not get a refund in the following cases:
- The client does not show up to start the tour (no show).
- An accident or calamity occurs and prevents the service to be provided or provided in full.
- The client resign during the service.
- Events unrelated to Teyuna Tours occur, such as cancellation or delay of flights, loss of luggage, closure of roads, airports, terminals, borders, among other external reasons that may prevent the client to be provided a certain service.
* It is intended as force majeure: meteorological phenomena, disturbances of public order, unforeseen closures of the destination or roads, among others that prevent the service to be provided, or put safety of our customers at risk.
Campsites, accommodations and restaurants belong to local communities; we cooperate and work in order to provide a high quality service, however quality of lodgings and camps depends on them.
Trails and infrastructures are shared by all companies, so that the number of visitors depends on tourist season and number of visitors among all tour operators.
This tour involves risks; travel insurance covers accidents and injuries that may occur in the trek.
Teyuna Tours and the managers of the campsites on the Lost City trek are not responsible for lost or damaged personal belongings.
Other Tours – Lost City Trek
Lost City Trek – 5 days
This adventure is designed for people who prefer to go at a slower pace, even without having much time.
Lost City Trek – 6 days
Best option for visitors who prefer to have an exclusive experience, with more time to enjoy nature, rivers and natural pools.