Cabo de la Vela
Visit La Guajira, discover Cabo de la Vela and Punta Gallinas, live an adventure full of wild beauty and ancestral traditions: the land of the Wayúus.
Duration: 3 days, 2 nights
Staring point: agreed meeting point.
Starting time: 4:00 am*
*Due to the current situation, regulations and restrictions, starting time may be modified.
Price per person:
* Tours begin in Ríohacha; extra transportation service from and to Santa Marta (round trip) has a price of $160.000 COP per person; Teyuna Tours will help you book this extra service, and will be paid directly to the service provider.
Your trip starts at 08:00am in Riohacha, from there you will leave for Uribia, the indigenous capital of La Guajira. It will be a 1 hour trip. Upon arrival in Uribia, you will take a city tour, visiting this important Wayúu cultural center. Then you will enjoy breakfast, and you will start your trip to one of the most famous places of La Guajira: the Salinas de Manaure. It will be a 20-minute drive. In the Salinas de Manaure you will visit the salt ponds where they extract and process salt in a traditional way. Then you will leave for Cabo de La Vela, a journey of approximately 2 hours. In the afternoon, you will visit the Dorada and Ojo de Agua beaches, watch an incredible sunset and then go back to the ranch.
After breakfast, you will leave for Punta Gallinas, but before that you will make a stop in Bahía Honda to have lunch in a restaurant and take a shower. After crossing the desert, you will connect with one of the most famous places of La Guajira: The Dunes of Taroa, you will enjoy the landscape, maybe you can take a bath, everything at your own pace because we prefer that you contemplate and let yourself fall in love without hurry. You will visit the Lighthouse and the beaches of Punta Aguja. You will go to the posada, participate in a Wayuu weaving activity and get to know two local projects developed by the community of Bahía Hondita, where we will understand Wayuu better and then enjoy dinner and finally rest.
At around 7 am you will leave the posada for the beaches of Mayapo, a journey of approximately 5 hours. Upon arrival, you will visit the Maliwala Refuge, a place to enjoy traditional cuisine. You will have lunch that will gather some of the most exquisite dishes of the Guajira gastronomy. You will have time to enjoy Mayapo beach, one of the unmissable destinations on your trip to La Guajira. This area is ideal for water sports because there are good winds, good waves and sandy beaches. At mid afternoon and after a tour of about 40 minutes, you will arrive at a hostel in Riohacha, where you can take a shower and rest.
- 4×4 Transportation (Round trip, from and to Ríohacha)
- Meals during the tour
- Accommodation in ‘chinchorro’ hammocks – If you prefer to have a room, you will have to tell us in advance
- Travel insurance
- Driver guide service
What's Not Included
- Breakfast on Day 1
- Dinner on Day 3
- Beers, drinks, extra snacks
- Shopping tour and / or visits to other attractions
- Guide service in any other language than Spanish
- Handicraft items and tips
- extra transportation service from and to Santa Marta (round trip), which has a price of $140.000 COP per person; Teyuna Tours will help you book this extra service, and will be paid directly to the service provider.
- This tour takes place in a desert region.
- Temperatures are of about 25°C – 33°C.
- It is usually hot and very dry, during the night temperatures may get low due to thermal excursion.
- Natives and their traditions have to be respected: this is the base for a positive cultural exchange for both visitors and communities.
What to bring
- Tennis shoes or boots, and sandals or resting shoes for the camps
- Light clothes
- Sweatshirt or a pair of long trousers
- Insect repellent
- Personal items and toiletries
- Water bottle – a big one
- Personal medications
- Cash for extra expenses, handicrafts, tips…
Cancellation Policy and Refund
Clients have the right to claim a total or partial refund of the amount he/she paid according to the following terms and conditions:
- Teyuna Tours or its provider, has failed to provide the service, as long as the reason is different from force majeure *: you will have a refund of the total amount paid for the service.
- Cancellation of a standard (non-private) tour, either the Lost City trek or another destination in Santa Marta, more than twelve (12) hours prior to the departure of the tour. You will have a refund of the total amount paid for the service.
- Cancellation of a private tour, or transfer service, more than forty-eight (48) hours prior to the starting time of the service. You will have a refund of the total amount paid for the service.
- Cancellation of a standard tour to the Lost City within twelve (12) hours prior to the departure of the tour: there will be a charge of the 10% of the total value of the tour.
- Cancellation of a standard tour other than the Lost City trek within twelve (12) hours prior to the departure of the tour: there will be a charge of the 50% of the total value of the tour.
- Cancellation of a private tour, or transfer service, within forty-eight (48) hours prior to the starting time of the service. There will be a charge of the 10% of the total value of the service.
- Presenting a positive result for the Covid-19 test, after the starting time of a service that requires a negative result, implies a charge of the 20% of the total value of the service.
The customer will not get a refund in the following cases:
- The client does not show up to start the tour (no show).
- An accident or calamity occurs and prevents the service to be provided or provided in full.
- The client resign during the service.
- Events unrelated to Teyuna Tours occur, such as cancellation or delay of flights, loss of luggage, closure of roads, airports, terminals, borders, among other external reasons that may prevent the client to be provided a certain service.
* It is intended as force majeure: meteorological phenomena, disturbances of public order, unforeseen closures of the destination or roads, among others that prevent the service to be provided, or put safety of our customers at risk.
Campsites, accommodations and restaurants belong to local communities; we cooperate and work in order to provide a high quality service, however quality of lodgings and camps depends on them.
Trails and infrastructures are shared by all companies, so that the number of visitors depends on tourist season and number of visitors among all tour operators.
This tour involves risks; travel insurance covers accidents and injuries that may occur in the trek.
Teyuna Tours and the managers of the campsites on the Lost City trek are not responsible for lost or damaged personal belongings.
Other Tours – Lost City Trek
Lost City Trek – 5 days
This adventure is designed for people who prefer to go at a slower pace, even without having much time.
Lost City Trek – 6 days
Best option for visitors who prefer to have an exclusive experience, with more time to enjoy nature, rivers and natural pools.