Discover Bunkuany, the Land of Ancestral Knowledge, a corner of Sierra Nevada you should visit, a sector of our land blessed by nature, located in the mountains known as “the Heart of the World“: a
Duration: 2 days, 1 night
Staring point: agreed meeting point.
Starting time: agreed meeting time*
*Due to the current situation, regulations and restrictions, starting time may be modified.
Transfer by 4×4 from Santa Marta to Donama, Boquerón region, in Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta.
On the way, we make a stop at Donama Rocks.
We begin our hike in the Boquerón sector, with a 30-minute ascent through coffee farms, followed by a 1.5-hour descent through forests and farms to the city of stone, Bunkuany, an archaeological site built by the Tairona tribe. Here, we will explore the area, have lunch, and rest.
Leaving Bunkuany, the other Lost City, we continue the trail with a 2-hour downhill hike to the town of Calabazo, followed by a 1-hour ascent to an indigenous Kogui community. We will have dinner and accommodation in hammocks. Total hike distance: 15 kilometers.
The second day of the Bunkuany tour – the other Lost City – starts with breakfast, followed by a 2.5-hour hike through the forests of Tayrona National Park, leading to the beautiful beaches of Boca del Saco, Playa del Medio, and Cabo San Juan del Guía. In the most renowned area of Tayrona National Park, we will enjoy the beaches and have lunch.
At 2:00 pm, we continue our journey, passing through the beaches of Piscina, Arenillas, and Arrecifes, until we reach the parking lot in Cañaveral, where we will take the vehicle back to Santa Marta. Total hike distance: 17 kilometers.
- Transportation: Round trip, from-to Santa Marta
- Meals during the tour
- Accommodation in hammocks
- Tayrona National Park entrance fee
- Travel insurance
- Local expert guide (service in Spanish)
- Entrance fee and visit to Bunkuany archaeological site
- Native Kogui community experience
- Contributions to the local communities
What's Not Included
- Beers, drinks, extra snacks
- Shopping tour and / or visits to other attractions
- Handicraft items and tips
- Guide service in English, or in any other foreign language
.The itinerary of the tour to Bunkuany – the other Lost City – may vary according to weather conditions and access road to the region
The guide will provide information and give the necessary recommendations in order to make sure every visitor has full respect for the environment and for the local communities.
What to bring
It is recommended to bring a small backpack, comfortable clothes, towel, personal toiletries, bathing suit, sunscreen, hat and appropriate footwear for walking, a pair of sandals to rest your feet, camera, plastic bags to cover your backpack.
It is important that you take with you mosquito repellent and medicines you may need.
Cancellation Policy and Refund
Clients have the right to claim a total or partial refund of the amount he/she paid according to the following terms and conditions:
- Teyuna Tours or its provider, has failed to provide the service, as long as the reason is different from force majeure *: you will have a refund of the total amount paid for the service.
- Cancellation of a standard (non-private) tour, either the Lost City trek or another destination in Santa Marta, more than twelve (12) hours prior to the departure of the tour. You will have a refund of the total amount paid for the service.
- Cancellation of a private tour, or transfer service, more than forty-eight (48) hours prior to the starting time of the service. You will have a refund of the total amount paid for the service.
- Cancellation of a standard tour to the Lost City within twelve (12) hours prior to the departure of the tour: there will be a charge of the 10% of the total value of the tour.
- Cancellation of a standard tour other than the Lost City trek within twelve (12) hours prior to the departure of the tour: there will be a charge of the 50% of the total value of the tour.
- Cancellation of a private tour, or transfer service, within forty-eight (48) hours prior to the starting time of the service. There will be a charge of the 10% of the total value of the service.
- Presenting a positive result for the Covid-19 test, after the starting time of a service that requires a negative result, implies a charge of the 20% of the total value of the service.
The customer will not get a refund in the following cases:
- The client does not show up to start the tour (no show).
- An accident or calamity occurs and prevents the service to be provided or provided in full.
- The client resign during the service.
- Events unrelated to Teyuna Tours occur, such as cancellation or delay of flights, loss of luggage, closure of roads, airports, terminals, borders, among other external reasons that may prevent the client to be provided a certain service.
* It is intended as force majeure: meteorological phenomena, disturbances of public order, unforeseen closures of the destination or roads, among others that prevent the service to be provided, or put safety of our customers at risk.
Campsites, accommodations and restaurants belong to local communities; we cooperate and work in order to provide a high quality service, however quality of lodgings and camps depends on them.
Trails and infrastructures are shared by all companies, so that the number of visitors depends on tourist season and number of visitors among all tour operators.
This tour involves risks; travel insurance covers accidents and injuries that may occur in the trek.
Teyuna Tours and the managers of the campsites on the Lost City trek are not responsible for lost or damaged personal belongings.
Other Tours – Lost City Trek
Lost City Trek – 5 days
This adventure is designed for people who prefer to go at a slower pace, even without having much time.
Lost City Trek – 6 days
Best option for visitors who prefer to have an exclusive experience, with more time to enjoy nature, rivers and natural pools.