Nothing is more relaxing and privileged than witnessing sunset in the Caribbean region of Colombia, embraced by the cold breeze that comes down from the snowy peaks, with gentle winds making Cerro Kennedy a paradise hidden in the middle of the mountains.
Duration: 2 days, 1 night
Staring point: agreed meeting point.
Starting time: 4:00 am*
*Due to the current situation, regulations and restrictions, starting time may be modified.
This experience begins by leaving the urban perimeter of the city with destination Cerro Keneddy, passing through the intersection of Mamatoco neighborhood and the bridge that leads us to Minca, Campano region and San Lorenzo watershed, picturesque paths full of nature located on the road to Cerro Keneddy, where a military base of the Colombian Army forces – the High Mountain Battalion – operates at 3000 meters above sea level, in order to grant safety in the area for the delight of natural tourism lovers.
Going up into the mountains in the car for approximately 2 hours, you will start to have access to the humid tropical forest and to the foggy landscapes of the Sierra Nevada. While getting deeper in the mountains, you will see small coffee plantations, wax palms, giant pine trees and more than thirty small waterfalls that will completely delight you. After breakfast, you will have the opportunity to walk – leaving the luggages on board – for approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes, in order to reach one of the most delightful water bodies in the high mountains, the Panku waterfall, a beautiful fall of crystal-clear water you will have a free time to enjoy.
* Do not forget to bring your bathing suit, insect repellent, sunscreen and camera … *
Estimated arrival time to Kennedy Peak is noon – or a bit before: after getting off the vehicle, you will walk on a pleasant path for approximately 40 minutes. You will enjoy a concert of sounds from nature, while arriving to the ecotouristic farm where you will rest the night.
* After rooms are assigned, you will have a delicious lunch with vegetables and fruits grown in the same farm. *
The farm has amazing views over Sierra Nevada mountain range and the snowy peaks Bolívar and Colon, you can see in the distance the city and the Ciénaga Grande de Santa Marta (a large area of swampy marshes), the coves and bays of Tayrona National Natural Park and all the mountain system that forms the highest littoral mountain range of the world, close to the shores of the Caribbean Sea.
This tour becomes even more interesting by giving the feeling you can literally touch the clouds, by just being on the mountain trails and facing the snowy mountains: there is nothing more relaxing and privileged than seeing the sunset of the Colombian Caribbean region, embraced by the cold breeze that comes down from the snowy peaks, with gentle winds making Cerro Kennedy a paradise hidden in the middle of the mountains. Returning to the farm, there will be dinner and time for resting. Don’t forget to set your alarm clock to watch an amazing sunrise from the comfort of your room.
Waking up with a panoramic view of the snow-capped peaks (Bolívar and Colón) of Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, you will feel what a privilege nature gives us, while you hear the songs of endemic and migratory birds starting very early, along with a cup of organic coffee in your hands: it is the best way to start your day with the right mood. Sunrise in this natural setting with clean air at Kennedy peak is an opportunity to reconnect with your inner peace, while appreciating the beauty and plentifulness of Sierra Nevada, one of the lungs of Colombia for the world.
- Transportation (Round trip)
- Meals (2x lunch, 1x dinner, 1x breakfast)
- Accommodation at Santa Elena farm in a multiple bedroom
- Travel insurance
- Professional local guide service (Spanish)
- Fresh fruits and water during the trekking
- Welcome snack
- Hot drinks: coffee, tea
What's Not Included
- Anything not specified
- Beers, drinks, extra snacks
- Shopping tour and / or visits to other attractions
- Handicraft items and tips
- Guide service in English – or any language other than Spanish
The itinerary may vary according to weather conditions and access road to the region;
The guide will provide information and give the necessary recommendations in order to make sure every visitor has full respect for the environment and for the local communities.
What to bring
It is recommended to bring a small backpack, comfortable clothes, bathing suit, sunscreen, hat and appropriate footwear for walking, a pair of sandals to rest your feet, camera, plastic bags to cover your backpack; towel and toiletries (biodegradable soap if possible), flashlight, sweatshirt and a pair of long trousers for the night.
It is important that you take with you mosquito repellent and medicines you may need.
Cancellation Policy and Refund
Clients have the right to claim a total or partial refund of the amount he/she paid according to the following terms and conditions:
- Teyuna Tours or its provider, has failed to provide the service, as long as the reason is different from force majeure *: you will have a refund of the total amount paid for the service.
- Cancellation of a standard (non-private) tour, either the Lost City trek or another destination in Santa Marta, more than twelve (12) hours prior to the departure of the tour. You will have a refund of the total amount paid for the service.
- Cancellation of a private tour, or transfer service, more than forty-eight (48) hours prior to the starting time of the service. You will have a refund of the total amount paid for the service.
- Cancellation of a standard tour to the Lost City within twelve (12) hours prior to the departure of the tour: there will be a charge of the 10% of the total value of the tour.
- Cancellation of a standard tour other than the Lost City trek within twelve (12) hours prior to the departure of the tour: there will be a charge of the 50% of the total value of the tour.
- Cancellation of a private tour, or transfer service, within forty-eight (48) hours prior to the starting time of the service. There will be a charge of the 10% of the total value of the service.
- Presenting a positive result for the Covid-19 test, after the starting time of a service that requires a negative result, implies a charge of the 20% of the total value of the service.
The customer will not get a refund in the following cases:
- The client does not show up to start the tour (no show).
- An accident or calamity occurs and prevents the service to be provided or provided in full.
- The client resign during the service.
- Events unrelated to Teyuna Tours occur, such as cancellation or delay of flights, loss of luggage, closure of roads, airports, terminals, borders, among other external reasons that may prevent the client to be provided a certain service.
* It is intended as force majeure: meteorological phenomena, disturbances of public order, unforeseen closures of the destination or roads, among others that prevent the service to be provided, or put safety of our customers at risk.
Campsites, accommodations and restaurants belong to local communities; we cooperate and work in order to provide a high quality service, however quality of lodgings and camps depends on them.
Trails and infrastructures are shared by all companies, so that the number of visitors depends on tourist season and number of visitors among all tour operators.
This tour involves risks; travel insurance covers accidents and injuries that may occur in the trek.
Teyuna Tours and the managers of the campsites on the Lost City trek are not responsible for lost or damaged personal belongings.
Other Tours – Lost City Trek
Lost City Trek – 5 days
This adventure is designed for people who prefer to go at a slower pace, even without having much time.
Lost City Trek – 6 days
Best option for visitors who prefer to have an exclusive experience, with more time to enjoy nature, rivers and natural pools.